Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Natural Sunburn Remedies

For the past month Ollie and I have been taking or daily walks in the morning, around 6am, before the sun comes up. This morning it was pouring so we put our walk off until after my morning class. When we left the house it was cloudy and cooler compared to the weather we've been having. Halfway through our walk the sun came out, it started to get really hot, and I started to think about sunburn. I didn't put on sunscreen when I left the house because I knew I wouldn't be gone that long and I had on a big hat. 


No matter how hard we all try there are always those moments when we aren't prepared when it comes to sun protection. If you do get a sunburn try these natural remedies!

  • Use aloe vera cream or gel directly on the skin (check to make sure there are no preservatives added!!!)
  • Coconut oil is very cooling and a great moisturizer for sunburned skin
  • Dip a guaze pad into cool milk and apply it directly to the sunburn
  • Pulverize som lettuce and apply it directly to the burned skin
  • Place a bag of ice or frozen food on the burned skin. Make sure you don't leave the ice on for more than a few minutes at a time.
Question of the Day: Do you remember any really bad sunburns from your childhood?

I have vivid memories of a horrible sunburn I got when my family was in Costa Rica. Even though my brother and I had sunscreen on playing in the water and being closer to the equator our sun just couldn't hold it's own.  

**Adapted from The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies by Dr. Vasant Lad

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Wonderful information for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete