Monday, June 17, 2013

Basil Pesto

When I was growing up, we were having a party with a bunch of my brother's friends over for dinner around the bonfire. One of the girls came up to my mom and said "I love the green pasta." She said it is all seriousness and my mom had to try very hard not to laugh at such a cute thing. The green pasta the girl was referring to was Pesto Pasta. And I agree the green pasta is amazing!!!


The best thing about pesto is that you can use it on pasta, on sandwiches, as a spread, dipping sauce, or salad dressing. Usually pesto is made with pine nuts but they are very expensive so I decided to use walnuts. It's not quite as creamy but still great. My mom puts parmesan cheese in her pesto but I left it out for my friends who can't eat dairy.  

Basil Pesto
1 cup fresh basil, packed
1/4 cup walnuts
EVOO
Salt
Pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Put everything together in the food processor and process. Serve on pasta, a sandwich, or salad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment