Thursday, December 6, 2012

Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

I love sweet potatoes but sometimes if I have them too much I get sweetness overload.  If I'm in the mood for something simple and easy I will just have a plain baked potato with butter or ghee and salt.  Sometimes I also dress them up a bit to turn them into a main dish if I'm not just feeding myself.

This recipe is very easy to do and is very impressive when you serve it to guests.  You can bake the sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes. Or you can bake them in the crock pot. Just wrap them in foil (making sure to have any creases facing up so the juice doesn't spill) and place them in the crock pot on low for 6 to 8 hours! I got so happy with I figured out I could make the sweet potatoes in the crock pot because it turned them into a perfect week night meal.


While the potatoes are still cooking mix together diced tomatoes (drained), black beans (drained), salt, pepper, cumin and coriander. Stir it all together and heat it over medium low heat until it's warm.  When the sweet potatoes are ready cut a slit across the top of them and squeeze the ends together slightly to open the middle.  Spoon out the filling and sprinkle with goat cheese! It's really that easy!

The sweet potatoes I had were slightly smaller than I usually use to I made a few extras so people could have more than one.

Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
From Christi Cobo
Serves 2-3 people

2 or 3 medium to large sweet potatoes
1 can (14 oz) black beans, drained
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 pinch hing (optional)

Wash the sweet potatoes and poke holes in them with a fork.  Drizzle canola oil on the skin to make it crispier. Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes or until a fork easily slides into them. Or bake them in a crock pot for 6 to 8 hours on low.  While the potatoes are baking mix together the black beans, tomatoes, cumin, coriander, and hing into a medium sauce pan.  Heat over medium low heat.  When the pot starts to simmer reduce the heat and cook for about 20 minutes until the extra liquid is gone and then beans and tomatoes have started to soften.  You might need to reheat this depending on the timing of your sweet potatoes.

When the potatoes are done make a slit the long way down the potato and open the center.  Spoon some of the bean tomato mixture into the center and serve! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment