Monday, September 17, 2012

Grilled Romaine Lettuce

I love pretty much anything that is grilled. When I was at college and in Albuquerque I didn't have a grill to use but now Steve and I have an amazing grill/smoker.  A few weeks before I moved to Texas my dad sent me a recipe that he made on the grill that instantly I knew I wanted to try.  It was Grilled Romaine Lettuce! He had made it for dinner and thought I would love it. He was right! I've made it three times in the past four weeks.
It's so easy to prepare that you can just throw it on the grill any time you have it going.  All you have to do it cut the lettuce heads in half cover them with a mixture of EVOO, vinegar, and spices.  I've been using an Italian spice mix that we have but really anything will be And then grill them for about 10 to 15 minutes while flipping them periodically.  Once it's finished you can serve a half head to each person so cut it up and mix it with extras to make a warm salad.

Grilled Romaine Lettuce
3 heads of romaine lettuce, washed
1/2 cup EVOO
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons spices of your choice

Light the grill to high heat.  Mix together the EVOO, red wine vinegar, and spices. Cut the top inch of leaves off and then cut in half lengthwise.  Brush the cut lettuce halves with the mixture on all sides.  Place on the heated grill for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping periodically.  When the outside leaves crisp or become wilted it is done.  Serve while it's still hot. Enjoy this crunch, warm lettuce plain or as a salad!


No comments:

Post a Comment