Monday, April 15, 2013

Food Rules: Part Three

In Food Rules: Part One Michael Pollan answers the question "What should I eat?" In Food Rules: Part Two he shares rules to answer "What kind of food should I eat?" The third part of his book focuses on answering the "How should I eat?" His simple answer is "Not too much" which he supports with a number of food rules.  

I've picked three of my favorite rules from the last part of Food Rules to share with you. 


1. Eat when you are hungry, not when you are bored. Have you ever felt like this person? I know I have. I've trained my brain to realize when I'm actually hungry and when I'm just bored. It usually happens to me in the afternoon. If you aren't sure if you are bored or hungry drink some water and wait 20 minutes to see if you are still hungry. 


2. Buy smaller plates and glasses. I totally agree with the plates part but if you are like me and only drink tea and water I don't think there is anything wrong with big glasses. In the picture below can you tell that there is the same amount of food on each plate but you can easily trick your mind into not wanting more if you've eaten a whole plateful rather than what seems like half the plate. 


3. Break the rules once in a while. This might be the most important rule in the book as long as the focus is on "once in a while." There is no way to live a healthy lifestyle if you force yourself to be perfect all the time. If you don't allow yourself the have treats of any kind the changes you are trying to make won't stick and you will go back to your old ways. Just be aware when you are breaking your rules but don't criticize yourself and make sure you enjoy every moment of it. 

Question of the Day: What is your favorite way to break your food rules? 

When I am visiting with family or friends I am more relaxed about my food rules. If my mom makes pie or carrot cake I will eat it!

I'm starting a Question of the Day part of my blog where I will ask a question and answer it. If the question or my answer brings something to mind I would love for your to respond in the comments. It's a great way to get interaction from my readers. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment