Thursday, March 21, 2013

Food Rules: Part One

I just finished reading Michael Pollan's Food Rules. A lot of the rules are ones that I already incorporate in my life but it always nice hearing them again just to reiterate their importance. The first part of the book is titled "What should I eat?" where Pollan talks about how to decide what foods are best to eat.


My three favorite rules from this part of the book are:

1. Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.

Would your great-grandmother know what this is?

2. Avoid food you see advertised on television.
I know the food on commercials sometimes looks yummy and delicious but when was the last time you saw a commercial for spinach or apples?

3. Eat foods that will eventually rot.
One of my students is a nutrition teacher at a dental school. She told me every year when she teaches her students about junk food she brings out a hamburger and fries that she bought over 10 years ago. She keeps it on her filing cabinet all the time and every year when she brings it out it hasn't gone bad and looks exactly the same as when she bought it. 

Question of the Day: What is one food rule you are trying to follow right now?

I am working on not having or wanting dessert right after lunch. A few months ago I stopped having any dessert after dinner but now I'm working on lunch. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment