Friday, April 12, 2013

Braised Radishes

When I was in 8th grade we had a science fair. The project I created was "Does the pH of water effect how plants will grow?" I grew radish plants and watered some with a mixture of water and vinegar and others with a mixture of water and baking soda. My results showed that the plants with a neutral pH grew the best. 


I haven't eaten radishes since I did that project but we got some in our Bountiful Basket a few weeks ago so I knew that was going to change. I'm not a fan of raw radishes so I searched for a recipe in which they are cooked. This was a hit! Steve liked it and because of the sugar and vinegar the taste of the radish was more subtle. 

Braised Radishes
Adapted from Rachael Ray 
Serves 2

1 bunch radishes
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon sugar (I used turbinado)
1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Salt
Pepper

Trim the tops and roots off the radishes and thinly slice them. Place the radishes in a skillet with the water, butter, sugar, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover the pan and bring it to a boil. Uncover the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the radishes for 10 to 12 minutes until soft. Serve the radishes with some of the sauce drizzled on top. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment