Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Easiest Way to Cook a Spaghetti Squash

Squash is a very popular winter dish in our house. A few years ago I discovered spaghetti squash! It is a great substitute for wheat pasta in any dish. We've made cheese sauces and tomato sauces to go with our spaghetti squash. I only recently found the best way to cook spaghetti squash! 


When I cook acorn, butternut, and any other larger winter squashes I either cut them open, drizzle with oil, and bake, or I cut them into cubes if I want it to cook faster. Spaghetti squash is a whole different story. I used to make it by cutting it open and roasting each half but then I heard you can bake them whole, like you would a potato. This is a much easier way to do it! And since I add flavor with whatever sauce I'm using I don't need to worry about the flavor from the oil.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.Wash the spaghetti squash and remove the sticker. Using a fork poke holes around the skin of the squash. 
Place on a baking dish and put in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour. 
The squash will be done when a fork can easily slide through the skin into the flesh. Then cut open the squash, being careful of any hot steam coming out. 
 Scoop out the seeds and use a fork to remove the squash strands and you have you spaghetti. 
 Cover with your favorite sauce and enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to try spaghetti squash, but it looks good! Thanks for sharing at A Humble Bumble :)

    ReplyDelete