Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Moroccan Lentils

Over the past year I have learned that I love lentils! Before I made this realization I had really only had lentils that my host mother is Chile had cooked with a tomato sauce and sausages.  I've tried to replicate her recipe but the tomato sauce we have in the US just isn't the same as in Latin America. So I'm just going to leave the dish has a happy memory.


I've started making lentil soups and lentil salads.  I found a dish on Sweetpea Lifestyle for Moroccan Lentils which sounded so yummy. I changed a few things to make it fit more what I wanted to make.  I used onion powder and garlic powder instead of the actual things because it's easier to digest without loosing the flavor.  I also used more carrot than called for because I love cooked carrots.

Moroccan Lentils                                       Servings: 3 to 4 as a main dish, 4 to 6 as a side dish
1 large carrot, diced                                                       Time: 30 to 40 minutes
2 cups lentils
EVOO
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 teaspoon corriander powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 to 5 cups of water or vegetable broth
1 15oz can of coconut milk (either regular or reduced fat)

Heat a dutch oven with EVOO over medium heat.  When the oil is hot saute the carrot for about 4 minutes until the carrot starts to get softer.  Add the spices and saute for another 2 minutes and then add the lentils to saute those for 1 minute.  Pour the water or vegetable to the dutch oven, turn the heat up to medium high and bring to a boil. Once it has come to a boil turn the heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes.  To test if the lentils are done take a taste and see if the lentils are still hard in the center.  When the lentils are done stir in the coconut milk and salt and pepper if needed.

If there is liquid left in the pot you can keep it simmering to reduce the liquid or you can serve it with the broth like a soup.  It just depends on what type of dish you want to serve.

This is delicious as both a main dish and a side dish.  Enjoy!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment