Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Baked Arancini with Leftover Risotto

Let me just say: I LOVE LEFTOVERS!! Usually I'm very happy just heating up whatever leftovers we have in the fridge.  However, we made a big batch of risotto for our Mushroom Risotto with Poached Egg and I didn't want to just eat reheated risotto again so I found another option.  I figured the Italians had come up with something to do with their leftover risotto and they have.  In Italy leftover risotto is mixed with egg and flour, rolled in bread crumbs, and deep fried.  I'm not a fan of frying things so I found a healthier option: baking. All the recipes I found called for frying so I just heated the oven, put them in and kept an eye on them until they were done.


Baked Arancini 
3 cups risotto, or however much you have
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
breadcrumbs

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Take a small handful of risotto and roll into a ball, about the size of a regular meatball.  Set up an assembly line with a plate of flour, a bowl with the egg, and then a plate with the bread crumbs.  Roll the ball in the flour, egg, and bread crumbs before placing on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Repeat until you have used up all of your risotto.
Place the baking sheet in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm.  You can make a dipping sauce to go with them but we just eat them as they were and they were delicious. Next time we have leftover risotto I'm making this again!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment