Monday, July 22, 2013

Guru Purnima: Celebration of Teachers

Today is Guru Purnima! This day is always celebrated on a full moon in the Indian month of Ashadh (June/July). The word guru literally translates to "remover of the darkness" and Guru Purnima is a day to honor and thank all the teachers. In India the celebration honors both religious, spiritual, and academic teachers. 


"The purpose of the Guru Purnima celebration is to turn back and review and see in this last year how much one has progresses in life. For the seeker, Guru Purnima is a day of significance. If is the day to review one's progress on the spiritual path and renew one's determination and focus on the goal. As the full moon rises and sets, tears of gratitude arise and repose into the vastness of one's own self." Art of Living 


One of my teachers wrote "From sunrise to moonset today I bow, honor, and meditate to each dedicated teacher that has illuminated the path; from the teachings of my mother as my first teacher, to my academic teachers and spiritual teachers. Today is also a day to recognize the Self as the greatest teacher of all" Maria Garre

Take a moment today to honor and bow to all the teachers who have touched your life and reflect on how you have grown in the past year! I would like to take a moment to thank all my teachers! I wouldn't be where I am today without your knowledge and support! Happy Guru Purnima Day

**For more information on Guru Purnima read this interesting article by Swami Rama

Question of the Day: Who are some of your favorite teachers?

No comments:

Post a Comment