Thursday, November 1, 2012

Whole Wheat Biscuits

I hope everyone is doing well and had a nice Halloween if you did anything to celebrate.  I had to teach but Ollie and Steve were home to pass out candy. I'm still in my detox so I'm not having any candy. In fact it's been one week since I had sugar of any kind! I will write more about my detox as it gets to the end. I feel like it would been an uneven explanation if I didn't have the whole experience before I share it with you all. This is a little treat a made last week!


This recipe is from Ayurvedic Cooking for Westerners.  Amadea Morningstar calls when Butterfly Biscuits because she used a butterfly cookie cutter to shape her version.  We don't have any cookie cutters so I just cut mine into circles.  I made these with my Sweet Potatoes, Garbanzo Bean, Quinoa Chili.  Steve was getting home an hour after the chili was done so I wanted to add something to our dinner.  I quickly found this recipe and threw it together. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Whole Wheat Biscuits
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
3 tablespoons ghee or butter, chilled
3/8 cups buttermilk**

Stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder into a medium mixing bowl.  Cut the butter into very small pieces and crumble with the dry ingredients with your hands.  Add in the buttermilk and combine with your hands.  Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

After 20 minutes preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  When the dough is ready roll it out onto a lightly oiled baking sheet.  Cut the dough into your desired shape and bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.

**You can make your own buttermilk by putting 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice in a 1 cup measuring cup and adding milk until both add up to 1 cup.  Stir together and let sit for 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment