Friday, November 16, 2012

Thanksgiving Traditions

Originally Steve and I were going to cook our Thanksgiving meal before actual Thanksgiving but since I did my detox we decided to save it for after Thanksgiving.  We are both going to our parent's houses for Thanksgiving this year.  Steve's mom cooks  a turkey at their house. Steve's brother, Eric, makes caramelized sweet potatoes.  Steve's Grandma make homemade butter-horn rolls. And there are the plates filled with stuffing or dressing, salad, and lots of pies of many different varieties. They have a very traditional Thanksgiving with lots of food and football.  It was a very different experience for me compared to what my family does.



I haven't been home for Thanksgiving in four year! I can't believe it's been that long, but this year I'm going home! For as long as I can remember we have gone to my mom's aunt and uncle's house for Thanksgiving.  Kate and Al (my mom's aunt and uncle) take the whole extended family out for a Thanksgiving dinner at Hopkin's Inn  in upstate Connecticut. My mom, dad, brother and I have breakfast at home (and try to work out) before driving about an hour to Kate and Al's house.  We get there around lunch time and spend that time catching up with the extended family.  There is usually anywhere between 10 and 30 people.  There are snacks and munchies for people to eat until we walk up the road to Hopkin's Inn.  Kate and Al are friends with the owners of the Inn so we get extra special treatment.  Depending on how many people there are sometimes there is a "kids" table. Which used to be for the kids who were actually kids and now is for the "kids" who are in their 20s.  If there aren't enough "kids" we are just mixed in with the adults.  We get a choice of what we have as a main dish and there are serving dishes with vegetables passed around.  I usually don't have turkey because my family makes their own turkey the following Saturday.  After the meal is over we all walk back to Kate and Al's and have some of my mom's delicious pies! I will post about these after I make them with her next Wednesday!

On the Saturday after Thanksgiving my family has our own Thanksgiving! The other side of the family comes to our house for a big turkey meal!  My dad makes the turkey on his Big Green Egg slow cooker/grill.  And we put together some combination of side dishes.

What traditions does your family have for the holiday? What are you favorite Thanksgiving dishes? Would you like to share any recipes for us to try?

Have a great Holiday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment