Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Basic Dairy Free Cream Sauce

I have a new favorite pasta dish.  Well I love pasta so much that I don't think I can say one way of eating it is my favorite over other ways. If I had to write it all down there would probably be a list of about twenty ways that I like to eat pasta.  But my most recent find is a very healthy dairy free cream sauce.  Growing up I always liked the idea of a cream or alfredo sauce on pasta but when I did eat it my stomach would be upset with me after. I don't have a problem with dairy in general but in large amounts I can feel it.



This is another recipe from Ayurvedic Cooking for Westerners and I think it might be my favorite dish from the entire cook book, well at least of the ones I've tried.  It's also very easy to make and doesn't take that many ingredients.

Basic Cream Sauce
2 tablespoons ghee, butter or EVOO
1 1/2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups soy or nut milk
Salt and pepper

Prepare pasta of your choice (I use whole wheat.) Heat the ghee, butter or EVOO in a saucepan over low heat.  When it is warm add in the flour and stir together until combined.  Gradually add in the milk in smaller portions and continue to heat on low.  Stir occasionally until the sauce thickens to your preferred consistency.  It might seem more runny that you want at first but once it mixes with the pasta it tastes just right. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment