Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

I haven't had roasted pumpkin seeds in probably over 5 years. I haven't bought a pumpkin in about that long. I remember the first few years I was away at college I kept craving pumpkin seeds around Halloween but I never did anything about it.  Now I am!!


Most of the recipes online call for mixing the seeds with butter or oil and sprinkling with salt. Because of the cleanse I'm doing I'm not having any butter and no oils except for sesame oil. I didn't think sesame oil would mix perfectly with pumpkin seeds.  So I tried making the seeds all by them selves with a little salt sprinkled on top.

Plain Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds
salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Separate the pumpkin seeds from the stringy pulp.  Once the seeds are separated from the big pieces of pulp put them in a bowl with water.  The seeds will float and the pulp (as long as it's not attached) will sink into the water.  After about 10 minutes skim the seeds off the top and place on a paper towel to pat dry.  Place the seeds on a non-stick baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.  Bake for 8 minutes and stir. Bake for another 8 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Add more salt to taste. Enjoy this perfect fall snack!



1 comment: