Thursday, September 27, 2012

Sweet Potato Biscuits

This is another delicious recipe from my favorite ayurvedic cookbook!  I love sweet potatoes so I knew when I saw this recipe that I had to try it.   I really like using my hands when I'm cooking because it makes me feel like I have a better connection to the food I'm making and it worth the extra effort.  The recipe called for mixing the dough with your hands so I did just that. If you don't like getting your hands dirty you are more than welcome to use a utensil but I strongly suggest using your hands.  It's nice feeling like a messy kid again!


Sweet Potato Biscuits
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter or ghee (soft or melted)
1 medium sweet potato, cooked
Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup soy or cow milk

Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl.  Combine the butter or ghee and mix together until the consistency of coarse cornmeal. Peel and mash the sweet potato and put it in a measuring cup.  It should be a about 3/4 of a cup total.  Add the lemon juice and milk to the measuring cup equaling 1 cup.  If it is less than a cup add more milk.  Stir this mixture together.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix together using your hands.  Add extra flour if needed.  Cover the dough and put it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

When the dough is done cooling roll it out to be about 1/2 inch thick on top of a parchment paper covered baking sheet.  This saves the clean up of a cutting board or counter space.  Cut the biscuits into the shape you want. I used a small bowl to get a circle shape that was about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.  Bake the biscuits for 10 to 15 minutes until they become golden brown.

They are delicious with butter or coconut oil! And I suggest eating them right out of the oven when they are still warm!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment