Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Ardha Hanumanasana: Half Monkey Pose

When I first started practicing yoga my hamstrings were very tight and I had a great dislike for this pose. Over the years I've learned to love it and enjoy the stretch that comes from the pose. 



From teaching I've seen my students go through a love/hate relationship with this pose and sometimes I even get some negative reactions. But I know my students know it's good for them and can feel how it's helping stretch their hamstrings. This is a great pose for runners and anyone with tight hamstrings!

To come into this pose start off sanding. Step your right leg forward. Bend your left knee and come into the ground while keeping your right leg extended out in front. Place your hands of either side of your right leg. Point your toes up towards the sky. Inhale as your extend up and exhale to bow forward over your leg. 
This is the incorrect hip position. 
To stretch your hamstring in the right way make sure your hips are squared towards the front of your mat. Make sure your hips are directly above your left knee.

Hold for 7 to 10 breaths and repeat on the other side. 

Question of the Day: Do you have tight hamstrings? 

No comments:

Post a Comment