I have vivid memories to hating the morning when I was in high school. In college I realized I was more of a morning person but when I live in dorms where people stay up until the sun starts coming up and no one has to be up before lunch time it was hard to adjust my own schedule. Since I've been out of college I've become even more of a morning person and it feels so natural.
The trick to being a morning person is to find enjoyment during that time. Here are few tips I've come up with over the past few years that make my mornings easier and more enjoyable.
- All the research says the average adult doesn't get enough sleep. To make sure you are getting enough sleep go to bed around 10pm, with the absolute latest being 11pm.
- Spend time away from screens (TVs, computers, and cell phones) before going to bed.
- Set your alarm early enough so that you aren't in a rush to get to work. If you are in a rush you won't be able to enjoy your morning.
- When you first wake up put some cool water in your mouth, swish it around until it gets warm, and spit it back out.
- Splash your face with cool water focusing around your eyes.
- Drink warm water with lemon.
- Move for at least 20 minutes. And by move I mean do yoga, go for a walk, or go for a run. Any physical activity will instantly make you feel more awake. This doesn't have to be your main workout of the day but its a great way to start of the day in a healthy way.
- Take time to cook and eat breakfast. Fruit should be the only "fast" food you eat for breakfast. Also, make sure you aren't eating in the car.
- On the weekends try to keep your bedtime and wakeup time within an hour of your schedule for the week. Monday and maybe Tuesday will be rough if you give into the temptation of staying up late and sleeping in on the weekend.
I hope these helps make your morning enjoyable!
Question of the Day: What is your favorite part of your morning routine?