Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pasta Bake with Mushrooms and Spinach


I made this recipe before I went home for the holidays. I kept meaning to write about it but time got away from me. I keep thinking about it because it was SO good. 


I wanted to call this Vegan Mac and Cheese but Steve told me I should not call it Mac and Cheese if there isn't any cheese in it even if it tastes cheesy! 

You can add any vegetables of your choice. We had extra spinach and mushrooms which were delicious. I also used quinoa pasta to make it even healthier. 

Pasta Bake with Mushrooms and Spinach
Adapted from The Detoxinista

1 1/2 cups raw cashews
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup nutritional yeast + 2 tablespoons
1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
pinch turmeric
pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon mustard
Pasta of choice
Black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the package. Prepare any vegetables you are adding. In your food processor or blender process the cashews until they are finely ground and add in the lemon juice, water, salt, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, garlic powder, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and mustard. Process until the sauce is thick and creamy. When the pasta is cooked and drained mix together the pasta, vegetables, and sauce. Spread the mixture into a baking dish.  Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast on top along with some black pepper.  Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Let the dish sit for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment